Microfluidics allows production of highly monodisperse droplets, emulsions, double emulsions, bubbles or particles and is ideal for performing chemical and biochemical reactions in droplets. Droplets from 1 µm to 100’s of µm (femto- to nanoliter range) can be generated with exceptionally high control and reproducibility from research to production scale. Droplets can also be used as microreactors to create complex formulations as samples,which can be confined, diluted, mixed, split or analysed.
Benefits of Dolomite microfluidic droplet systems and products:
- High monodispersity: microfluidic techniques offer extremely consistent size of droplets, particles or emulsions (e.g. 1 % coefficient of variation)
- Wide range of fluids and droplet types: emulsions, particles, foams, gels, suspensions and sols can be made from aqueous, organic or fluorinated liquids and gases
- Rapid research or process optimization: parameters such as flow rates, temperatures, mixing junctions, surface properties and order of additions can be quickly varied and the effects analysed and quantified automatically
- Straightforward scale up to production: conditions identified in the laboratory can be easily scaled up to a tonne per month
- Easy to use: all of Dolomite’s products are designed to quickly connect together without the need for tools. Automation is also available.
- Encapsulation of cells DNA or magnetic beads for research
- Analysis and diagnostics
- Protein crystallization
- Drug delivery via polymer particles and drug formulation
- Bulk precision manufacturing of emulsions and foams for foods and cosmetics
- Nanoparticles, paints and polymer particles, droplet, emulsion, bubble or particle academic research
- Segmented flow – forms slugs with size larger than junction size. See Dolomite Droplet Systems
- Flow focussing – highly monodisperse droplets, easy scale up. See Dolomite Droplet Systems Dolomite Droplet Systems and Telos Production System for scale-up
- Droplet on Demand – programmable size and content, storage of droplets in coil. More data with reduced experiment volumes. See Mitos Dropix Droplet on Demand System
We have a wide range of Application Notes available to cover various droplet production areas:
- Mitos P-Pump Droplet Monodispersity: A comparison of the size consistency of droplets formed by the Mitos P-Pump and a market leading syringe pump. Download here..
- High Throughput Droplet Production. Download here…
- 2 – 10 µm Diameter Water Droplets in Mineral Oil Emulsion Production. Download here…
- Mitos Dropix® Droplet Generation System. Download here...
- Mitos Dropix® Droplet on Demand Generation and Pairwise Merging. Download here…
- Parallel Droplet Generation: Demonstration of a Parallel Droplet Generation setup for producing water droplets in hexadecane. Download here..
- Gas Bubble Generation in Water using Dolomite’s Small Droplet System. Download here…
- Gas Bubble Generation Demonstration of the Mitos P-Pump for use in the generation of monodisperse compressed air bubbles in mineral oil on a microfluidic chip. Download here…
For full list of related publications, click here.
Micro Droplet Generation
Produce up to 500,000 monodisperse droplets / second
- Pulseless and stable liquid flow
- Highly monodispersed droplets ranging from 2 µm to 250 µm
- Production rate of up to 500,000 droplets per second
- Flexible system for easy scale-up
- Modular and adjustable to suit applications
Generate oil-water-oil or water-oil-water emulsions
- Reproducible and consistent production of double emulsions
- Highly monodispersed droplets
- Flexible system suitable for generating both w/o/w and o/w/o double emulsions in various sizes
- One-step or two-step process achievable on the same system
- Easy to set up and use
- Modular to suit your application
Micro Droplet Generation
Built around Dolomite's industry leading microfluidic products, the Micro Droplet Generation Systems provide a complete solution for droplet microfluidics, allowing users to seamlessly produce mono-dispersed droplets in various sizes and scales. Those modular systems give utmost flexibility to the scientists for their microfluidic applications.
The advanced Dolomite Double Emulsion Systems give users the possibility to generate highly monodisperse water-in-oil-in-water (w/o/w) or oil-in-water-in-oil (o/w/o) droplets. The versatile systems can be set-up for a one-step or a two-step double emulsion process, depending on the application. They allow precise control over droplet size, production rate, as well as volume ratios of inner and outer droplets.
See our dedicated Applications webpage to learn more about Double Emulsions.