Droplets on Demand – Dropix
Based on the proprietary Mitos Dropix® technology, the Droplets on Demand System is a novel, compact and portable system. It is designed for easy generation of extremely miniaturized droplets with excellent control over volume, environment and isolation of contents. This compact off-chip droplet generator enables users to create combinatorial droplet arrays from several different samples and store up to 1000 droplets with various sizes on a storage coil.
- Utmost flexibility: choose the droplet volume size, frequency and content
- Use multiple reagents to create complex assays quickly and easily
- Generate up to 5 droplets per second, with sizes down to 50 nL, from 24 different sample wells in any sequence
- Ability to pre-program commands for automated droplet collection via an easy-to-use PC software user interface
- Several possible operating modes: droplet generation, droplet merging, droplet splitting
- Small footprint, very easy to set up, no tools required
This compact off-chip droplet generator enables users to create combinatorial droplet arrays of many different reagents for complex assays. It offers excellent control over droplet size and droplet frequency.
Mitos Dropix® uses droplet 'picking' technology for droplet generation. It features a sample hook which moves up and down between the fluid reservoir (available in PEEK or PMMA) that contains the oil carrier phase, and the Dropix® Sample Strip with aqueous solutions in 24 bottomless wells. The hook also moves side to side along the strip for reagent selection.
The user is able to pre-program commands for droplet collection via an easy-to-use PC software user interface. This allows long droplet collection sequences to be run autonomously with a short set-up time and it saves time when repeating experiments.
A typical system set up includes the Mitos Dropix® module connected to a PC via a USB cable for control of droplet size and frequency via the Dropix® software, and a Mitos Duo XS-Pump with two syringes and valves for pumping aspiration. The Mitos Duo XS-Pump, due to its dual syringe function, has the added benefit of constantly refilling the carrier fluid bath during operation, thereby maintaining a steady fluid level.
- Compact system with small footprint
- Easy to set up with no tools required
- Excellent chemical compatibility
- Utmost droplet generation flexibility: generate droplets with sizes down to 50 nL, from up to 24 different samples, at frequencies up to 5 droplets per second, and store up to 1000 generated droplets
- Automated: Dolomite's automation software enables droplets on demand
- Can run autonomously for up to 24 hours after setup
- Reduced costs: smaller droplet sizes mean increased speed of screening and reduced reagent consumption
- More data: microscopic experiment volumes allow more data with smaller samples
- Removable storage coil: ideal for external experimentation and analyses
- High visibility: full visibility of samples and droplet generation within the Dropix Fluid Reservoir
The Droplets on Demand System benefits a wide range of industries including pharmaceutical, food, agrochemical and cosmetics research. It is commonly used for the following applications:
- Droplet library creation
- Ratiometric screening for protein crystallization
- Cell encapsulation
- Preparation of concentration gradients
- Diagnosis screening
- Combinatorial synthetic chemistry
- Drug bioassays
Mitos Dropix® was developed by Dolomite under exclusive sub-licence with Drop-Tech Ltd. having won Dolomite's 2012 Productizing Science® competition. Drop-Tech was formed from an academic collaboration between Cambridge University and Imperial College London and is the exclusive licensee of their patented droplet generation technology used in Mitos Dropix® (Patent Pending: PCT/GB2013/051668).
- Droplet sizes: from 50-1000 nL
- Aspiration flow rates: 5-50 μL/min
- Droplet frequency: up to 5 droplets per second
- Wetted materials: FEP, stainless steel, COC, PEEK, PMMA
- Maximum number of samples: 24
- Maximum number of droplets stored in Droplet Storage Coil: typically 1000 (depending on droplet volume)
- Mitos Dropix module size: 20x12x8 cm
- Mitos Dropix module weight: 1.5 kg
- Current: 1.5 A
- Voltage: 24 V DC
- Automation via Dolomite Dropix PC software